3pm 5th November
Initial thoughts on this book are what the fuck was I thinking?! It’s huge. How am I supposed to carry this mammoth book around with me?
For anyone reading this that doesn’t know, Illumine is a book that’s essentially a story told in documents. So when you’re reading it, you’re reading hacked files that feature top secret documents, interviews and emails. & there isn’t actually any traditional dialogue or following of the main character in their head if that makes sense?
I’ve started reading and managed to get to page 26 before passing out because I was super tired last night but so far I love it! It’s original but I feel like it reminds me of S by Doug Durst & JJ Abrams. Except for the production value of S seem’s so much better because the pages are printed in colour with any notes made in different colours ink so you can tell who’s talking. In Illuminae you can see from the way the documents are shaded there is meant to be the illusion of colour but it just makes me really aware that it’s reprinted black and white so takes away from the experience just a smidge.
It does give you blueprints and maps which really helps add to the visualisation of the world as like I said, there’s no descriptive passages or world-building outside of the documents!
So it’s like, 4 days later!! It turned out to be a busy week and I still havent got past page 26. Does this happen to anyone else? You finally get a week of quiet that you can really get into your books and boom, family end up sick, you need to work and then general chores just take priority?
I think, I’m going to have to just leave this and post a review if I ever actually manage to finish the book!
In the mean time though, has anyone reading this read it already? I mean that’s a stupid question, everyone in the world has probably read it by now? It’s been out for a while and the hype around this series is immense!
So, how did you like it? Does it get easier to get into the way the story is told? Does it get easier to carry around on the train? These are the questions I need answers to!
If anything, Genuine Fraud is unique. It moves backwards in time so at the start, we’re reading what would be the end? And work towards what would be the start but is actually the end. Confused yet? Don’t worry, I’ll explain why I loved and hated this.
We follow Jule, a social butterfly (kinda) and Imogen a rich girl running away from her problems & parents. We get two perspectives into their friendship, the one Jule perceived and the one Imogen actually experienced.
Both different, both a bit confusing if I’m totally honest. As we move through the book it becomes more and more obvious what’s happening, but I was still invested and managed to read this in 3 days.
Genuine Fraud is branded as a mystery/ thriller but I don’t think I’d really use those words to describe it? It’s really interesting and I was hooked from the get-go but once I reached the midpoint I was pretty sure what was happening and the suspense died a bit.
The end (actually the start) was a bit of a let down for me, I was underwhelmed and disappointed that everything happened because Jule needed rent. I was annoyed because the entire plot is written like there is a bigger purpose to Jule’s story, but if there was I failed to miss it.
The last thing I really have to say about it is that I loved the layout, and I liked the back in time thing we had going on, but I paid no attention to the time-stamp at the top of each chapter. So if you’re like me & skip on details, maybe try and pay a tad more attention to the chapter heads of this one!
I’m super interested to see if you have read this book if you want to read it & what you thought!
If you wan to purchase Genuine Fraud you can here!
TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY. I’m a very youthful 25 because the years I spent smoking didn’t affect me at all. (that’s confession number 1.) & I say that with a heavy sarcasm because it did affect me! Massively! So let’s talk about the other 24 confessions!
- I was so eager to lose my virginity & prove a point to myself that I lost it on a couch with some dude I didn’t even really like/know.
- I spent 6 months arguing with my parents about my life because I was angry with what I chose to do with it. We can laugh about it now, but it was a waste of 6 months.
- I never thought I’d have to plan a life past 23/4/5 because I was convinced I’d never get that old. Not in a morbid way, I just wanted to be Peter Pan, I guess?
- I did however, have BIG plans for my early 20’s. Acting, owning a business, living in L.A. needless to say these were unrealistic and not actual dreams I’d ever want to pursue!
- I’ve lied to the police about my name to get out of getting in trouble. (nothing serious it was a noise complaint & I was like 15, shat my pants and called myself Clare Lawler.)
- My dad left when I was 5. & the world put immense pressure on me to feel it. Even though I didn’t and I always felt like I never missed out, I felt pressured into dealing with it.. If that makes sense?
- In my 24th year, he got in contact with me. & I shat my pants. (PS there might be a lot of shitting pants in this post!)
- I used to lie to friends and family about plans I had so I could stay home and read. I have no regrets.
- I forced myself to be in too many relationships that kept other people happy & not me.
- I ended too many relationships because I was bored with the other person.
- I have never been in a long term relationship & currently am in my 1st. 2.5 years in I haven’t ran away yet! GO TEAM
- In my life, I have made many, many friends but only 5 real ones have stuck around.
- Parents divorcing at 23 isn’t any easier than any other age. It may in fact be worse.
- Sometimes when I’m sad or stressed I masturbate to calm down.
- Thinking of 25 confessions is fucking hard.
- I have a memory of sexual assault. But I was so young I don’t know if it was a dream or not. So don’t talk about it.
- I’ve developed an addiction to coffee!
- But it’s better than my addiction to smoking which I quit btw!
- I complain all the time about being chubby, but never make the changes i need to to loose the extra chub.
- Realising that I’m allowed to do things for me has been life changing.
- The only reason I moved to Australia was because I won a radio contest & my boyfriend at the time dumped me.
- I still am not fully comfortable with my own body. Not weight wise, I mean when I look at my face or skin or hair, I don’t like it.
- Contradicting 22, there are obviously days where I wake up like fuck yes I look fantastic today! & those days are the good ones.
- LAST ONE. I’m in denial that I’m actually 25. & when people ask I automatically say 23. HAH I wish I was still 23 because I’m terrified of going back to uni as a late 20 something student.
There we have it friends. 25 confessions about my 25 years on this earth as a human.
It’s no secret that I’m a strong advocate of treat yo’self. Friends know that if they want to buy something and need confirmation that they should buy it then I’m the girl to talk to! I can rationalise spending money quicker than I can spend the money.
But even in instances that aren’t about a purchase.. Tomorrow is my birthday, the big 25 & around my birthday I get very, liberal with what I can eat. I adopt a ‘life’s too short’ mentality & with that have asked that my girlfriend makes me pancakes, that work get me a chocolate cake & told myself despite having cereal already today I can buy a cheese toastie to go with my coffee.
Do I care? Not necessarily. But it’s just such a happy time in my life. Guilt free eating! Guilt free shopping & guilt free lounging around in my pyjamas watching Moana. Again. For the 5th time.
When it’s close to your birthday, do you treat yourself with anything?
It’s no secret, everyone has ‘off’ days. I especially can wake up in the mother of all bad moods and am guilty of just lounging on the couch watching YouTube videos all damn day. But I recently read some advice I wanted to share! Because it was so simple, and really applied to my moods a lot.
The advice? BE MESSY.
Need some context? I’ve chatted before on here about my frustrations with creativity & how I can lack motivation. Basically to cut a long story short, when I’m in a bad mood and try to be productive, I end up being way too hard on myself. If I make a small mistake I get angry and frustrated and wind up in a worse mood than then I started! Super fun hey?
So if I think of it the advice to be messy is perfect. If I can just get myself to a place where I can write ANYTHING and not put any pressure on myself and the blog and basically anything creative that I want to do, imagine how amazing that would be? So it’s something that I really want to work on this month!
To put this plan into action, I obviously need to be in a bad mood. Which I’m not right now.. So we play the waiting game.
Other factors I’ll be including in my plan, coffee & Spotify. Usually the music I listen to when I write is a focus or study playlist from Spotify because it’s calm, the music is already there and it has an option to keep playing similar music once a playlist is over. Which takes the decision out of it so I can just roll with it.
I want to know though, how you get out of the slump? How you stop yourself retreating into a bottomless pit of the internet or movies.
I’m writing this super late into the 5th but the minute I seen the topic I knew I had to write about it!
Education is something I took for granted, it’s something I assumed I’d always get back to and just eventually figure out. But I haven’t!
& I’ve talked many times before about not putting pressure on young people to figure out their entire life but now being 25 and looking back I can’t help but think to myself maybe there needs to be a balance?
Has anyone else found that, you definelty don’t need a degree to get a good job, but it sure as hell makes it a lot easier? Because right now for the jobs I’m looking at, they want a degree. I don’t have one so obviously it seems like I’m failing in life just a little.
But on the flip side, I have a life in Australia that I’d have never dreamed of if I stayed to study in Ireland! So it’s a strange one to think about.
In saying all that, continuining my education is something that I one hundred percent want to do, but did anyone else go the long way about this aspect of life? And do you have any regrets about it? Or even any regrets about studying! If that’s the path you took!
So, we’ve all been in that position in life where something happens and you slump against a wall and think ‘fuck I need some money’.
Well if you haven’t you’re lucky because I have! This year, after treating myself too much with a holiday & all the shopping on holiday (I’m pretty sure I spent about 1000 dollars in Urban Outfitters.. yikes.) & finally getting smacked with a 600 dollar tax bill. I am in exactly this positions
Currently I’m moving house which means more rent. We’re moving from a share house which luckily when I moved in had everything, but not so luckily now I need to buy EVERYTHING A HOUSE NEEDS.
& this is sound stupid but I never realised just how much a house needed! I had to buy a can opener for a tin of mushy peas I bought but couldn’t eat because it didn’t have a pull tab.
So, you can imagine I need to save some dollar and fast. & for any normal person that would mean not following the list I’m about to write! But alas, I’m not normal. I can’t curb my spending & so here’s how I don’t save money.
- Shopping! Yesterday I went to glue and got two tops for 80 but put them on AfterPay so I’d feel like I wasn’t spending too much!
- Kmart. I don’t need to elaborate.
- Hair & skin care.. Okay, this one is somewhat important. You need to look after yourself! But did I need to spend $250 dollars trying to go blonde and end up orange? The answer is a firm no on that one.
- Coffee is a staple in my life. It’s the one luxury I’m not willing to give up. I can awknowledge the fact that spending $30 a week on coffee isn’t exactly healthy. But it’s not gonna change anytime soon sooooo on to number 5.
- Eating out! I work mostly evenings which means I get HANGRY. & I don’t have much foresight for planning ahead with food. So I end up hitting 7-8pm I need to eat and just happen to be in the city where I can order ANYTHING. It’s just so easy!
- Tap & go. I don’t think of money as money if that makes sense? When I tap and don’t physically see the exchanging of money it’s like I get free things all the time! This isn’t healthy.
I’m willing to bet that you do these to! That’s right I see you there scrolling along thinking you’re not guilty of this!
It’s okay, if I can make an effort to try and save some cash so can you! Once I finally pay back my tax. & stop going to Kmart of course! They might be some famous last words though!