3pm 5th November
Initial thoughts on this book are what the fuck was I thinking?! It’s huge. How am I supposed to carry this mammoth book around with me?
For anyone reading this that doesn’t know, Illumine is a book that’s essentially a story told in documents. So when you’re reading it, you’re reading hacked files that feature top secret documents, interviews and emails. & there isn’t actually any traditional dialogue or following of the main character in their head if that makes sense?
I’ve started reading and managed to get to page 26 before passing out because I was super tired last night but so far I love it! It’s original but I feel like it reminds me of S by Doug Durst & JJ Abrams. Except for the production value of S seem’s so much better because the pages are printed in colour with any notes made in different colours ink so you can tell who’s talking. In Illuminae you can see from the way the documents are shaded there is meant to be the illusion of colour but it just makes me really aware that it’s reprinted black and white so takes away from the experience just a smidge.
It does give you blueprints and maps which really helps add to the visualisation of the world as like I said, there’s no descriptive passages or world-building outside of the documents!
So it’s like, 4 days later!! It turned out to be a busy week and I still havent got past page 26. Does this happen to anyone else? You finally get a week of quiet that you can really get into your books and boom, family end up sick, you need to work and then general chores just take priority?
I think, I’m going to have to just leave this and post a review if I ever actually manage to finish the book!
In the mean time though, has anyone reading this read it already? I mean that’s a stupid question, everyone in the world has probably read it by now? It’s been out for a while and the hype around this series is immense!
So, how did you like it? Does it get easier to get into the way the story is told? Does it get easier to carry around on the train? These are the questions I need answers to!
Are you ready? I’m about to impart some tried and tested ways to positively fail at posting regularly on a blog.
- Forget you even have a blog.
Seriously, I have forgotten about Lissaah many, many times before. But hey, I’m here now, so that’s what matters, right?
- Get sick.
& utilise all the free time off you have by coughing up phlegm & blowing your nose while binging YouTube and Netflix.
- Move house.
Promise yourself you’ll document the process but get so stressed out about it that you end up having no time to even unpack let alone stop for pictures or write a post.
- Sit down & plan.
But end up mostly just decorating your diary or bullet journal for like 3 days straight.
- Play with your new cat.
More specifically my new kitten, Birdie.
- Watch movies as background noise.
Then completely ignore the post you’ve been writing.
- Menstrual Cramps.
Okay, you caught me, this isn’t a helpful list. This is a list of excuses that I have been using to put off writing! I think it happens to us all that life just gets in the way and we end up needing to take time for us!
Granted that’s an inconvenience when you want to be a professional writer and like need to write but even still, you always need to take time for you!
If anything, Genuine Fraud is unique. It moves backwards in time so at the start, we’re reading what would be the end? And work towards what would be the start but is actually the end. Confused yet? Don’t worry, I’ll explain why I loved and hated this.
We follow Jule, a social butterfly (kinda) and Imogen a rich girl running away from her problems & parents. We get two perspectives into their friendship, the one Jule perceived and the one Imogen actually experienced.
Both different, both a bit confusing if I’m totally honest. As we move through the book it becomes more and more obvious what’s happening, but I was still invested and managed to read this in 3 days.
Genuine Fraud is branded as a mystery/ thriller but I don’t think I’d really use those words to describe it? It’s really interesting and I was hooked from the get-go but once I reached the midpoint I was pretty sure what was happening and the suspense died a bit.
The end (actually the start) was a bit of a let down for me, I was underwhelmed and disappointed that everything happened because Jule needed rent. I was annoyed because the entire plot is written like there is a bigger purpose to Jule’s story, but if there was I failed to miss it.
The last thing I really have to say about it is that I loved the layout, and I liked the back in time thing we had going on, but I paid no attention to the time-stamp at the top of each chapter. So if you’re like me & skip on details, maybe try and pay a tad more attention to the chapter heads of this one!
I’m super interested to see if you have read this book if you want to read it & what you thought!
If you wan to purchase Genuine Fraud you can here!
I don’t know what got into me this month, but I was like lets buy some books. & it started off with me just downloading one book onto my Kindle. Which was Warcross by Marie Lu and I loved it! So once I had finished that, I was on a YA kick. More specifically a Marie Lu kick! I downloaded Legend, read it in like 2 days then downloaded Prodigy which I’m currently reading.
Prodigy is a bit slower for me than Legend for some reason. I have read half of Prodigy before and just never really got into it. This time I’m a bit more invested in the characters and I’m following the plot a bit better so I’m making more progress but it’s still slow. I keep thinking I’ve read over half of it but then look at the percentage I’ve read and it’s only 28%.
Since I had bought all Kindle books, I went to Dymocks and decided to pick up Illuminae by Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman. Which is fucking HUGE. But I’m excited to read it because I completely missed all the hype around it last year. Along with Illuminae I bought Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart. I read We Were Liars by Lockhart a good few years ago but I remember loving it so much I recommended it to everyone that would listen. So I’ve been eyeing it up for a while and decided to finally buy it!
Because I bought Illuminae and Genuine Fraud before I’m finished Prodigy I really, really just want to start one of them! But because this happened with Prodigy before I’m trying to push through and just get past the boring formalities that come along with the second book in a trilogy. Especially dystopian series, you know that world building part where we see how the dystopia came to be? But in an unusually drawn out way? Yeah. You know what I mean.
Annnnyway! They’re they books I purchased in October! & the ones I’m planning on reading into the start of November! I had wanted to focus on some Halloween inspired reads but I got distracted by Marie Lu and her amazing worlds. & Dymocks and their amazing sales.
What will you be reading to finish off October?
If there’s one thing I can say that is positively soul destroying, it’s looking for a job. And as someone that directs potential employers to this blog, that’s a risky thing to say! But hear me out!
So, number one. I don’t currently have “The Fear”. The fear is when you quit your current job and that gives you more incentive to look for a new job because ya know, rent and bills.
I don’t have that. I’m just in a job that I’m tired of. I’ve reached as far as I can go in the company and I need to challenge myself and look for new opportunities. It’s not the feat but its a fear that I’m using as motivation.
So, every day after work I scroll and scroll to try and find jobs. I start with the jobs I want. In content creation, writing, blogging basically I want to be paid to do this for a living!
Once I realize I’ve applied for all these jobs, I move on to casual work that will tide me over while I apply for more content creation jobs. Which is fine! I’ve applied for clothes shops, for cafe’s & reception jobs.
Yesterday I hit a new low though. I applied for the position of document scanner. A DOCUMENT SCANNER THAT WOULD SUIT A SEMI-RETIREE.
I feel like it’s at the stage where I should be thinking about giving up. But I won’t I will still apply for everything! There is a company out there somewhere that wants to hire me! They’re just making me work for it is all..
TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY. I’m a very youthful 25 because the years I spent smoking didn’t affect me at all. (that’s confession number 1.) & I say that with a heavy sarcasm because it did affect me! Massively! So let’s talk about the other 24 confessions!
- I was so eager to lose my virginity & prove a point to myself that I lost it on a couch with some dude I didn’t even really like/know.
- I spent 6 months arguing with my parents about my life because I was angry with what I chose to do with it. We can laugh about it now, but it was a waste of 6 months.
- I never thought I’d have to plan a life past 23/4/5 because I was convinced I’d never get that old. Not in a morbid way, I just wanted to be Peter Pan, I guess?
- I did however, have BIG plans for my early 20’s. Acting, owning a business, living in L.A. needless to say these were unrealistic and not actual dreams I’d ever want to pursue!
- I’ve lied to the police about my name to get out of getting in trouble. (nothing serious it was a noise complaint & I was like 15, shat my pants and called myself Clare Lawler.)
- My dad left when I was 5. & the world put immense pressure on me to feel it. Even though I didn’t and I always felt like I never missed out, I felt pressured into dealing with it.. If that makes sense?
- In my 24th year, he got in contact with me. & I shat my pants. (PS there might be a lot of shitting pants in this post!)
- I used to lie to friends and family about plans I had so I could stay home and read. I have no regrets.
- I forced myself to be in too many relationships that kept other people happy & not me.
- I ended too many relationships because I was bored with the other person.
- I have never been in a long term relationship & currently am in my 1st. 2.5 years in I haven’t ran away yet! GO TEAM
- In my life, I have made many, many friends but only 5 real ones have stuck around.
- Parents divorcing at 23 isn’t any easier than any other age. It may in fact be worse.
- Sometimes when I’m sad or stressed I masturbate to calm down.
- Thinking of 25 confessions is fucking hard.
- I have a memory of sexual assault. But I was so young I don’t know if it was a dream or not. So don’t talk about it.
- I’ve developed an addiction to coffee!
- But it’s better than my addiction to smoking which I quit btw!
- I complain all the time about being chubby, but never make the changes i need to to loose the extra chub.
- Realising that I’m allowed to do things for me has been life changing.
- The only reason I moved to Australia was because I won a radio contest & my boyfriend at the time dumped me.
- I still am not fully comfortable with my own body. Not weight wise, I mean when I look at my face or skin or hair, I don’t like it.
- Contradicting 22, there are obviously days where I wake up like fuck yes I look fantastic today! & those days are the good ones.
- LAST ONE. I’m in denial that I’m actually 25. & when people ask I automatically say 23. HAH I wish I was still 23 because I’m terrified of going back to uni as a late 20 something student.
There we have it friends. 25 confessions about my 25 years on this earth as a human.
It’s no secret that I’m a strong advocate of treat yo’self. Friends know that if they want to buy something and need confirmation that they should buy it then I’m the girl to talk to! I can rationalise spending money quicker than I can spend the money.
But even in instances that aren’t about a purchase.. Tomorrow is my birthday, the big 25 & around my birthday I get very, liberal with what I can eat. I adopt a ‘life’s too short’ mentality & with that have asked that my girlfriend makes me pancakes, that work get me a chocolate cake & told myself despite having cereal already today I can buy a cheese toastie to go with my coffee.
Do I care? Not necessarily. But it’s just such a happy time in my life. Guilt free eating! Guilt free shopping & guilt free lounging around in my pyjamas watching Moana. Again. For the 5th time.
When it’s close to your birthday, do you treat yourself with anything?